The Granny Midwives Exhibit

Now through March 23, 2023….

 

Reclaiming Our Legacy of Midwifery…..

Further Details on Scott Ford and the Exhibit Opening:

Scott Ford House, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 1995. The Scott Ford houses were built from 1891 to 1892 by Mary Green Scott, a formerly enslaved woman, and her daughter and son-in-law, Virginia and John Ford. They were among the first African Americans to build homes on Cohea Street after the Civil War ended, and their descendants owned the properties for more than a century.

Their lives tell the story of Granny Midwives, and that story is being told in the exhibit “Reclaiming Our Legacy and Shifting the Narrative of Mississippi Granny Midwives: A Storytelling Project.” The exhibit recognizes that since the beginning of human history, all human life shared  a common cultural touchstone –women helping other women deliver their babies, our mothers, and grand mothers, with the support of men, fathers, and grandfathers.–This bond was through women called the  “granny midwives.”

The Scott Ford Houses are a site that remind us of our commonalities and the  importance of communities. These houses are located at 136 and 138 Cohea Street in the Farish Street Historic District in Jackson, MS.  

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top